Running an event in public space (with PCC)

Working in the public realm is a great way of being part of the Weekender.

If this is something you want to do, make sure you start your conversation with Plymouth City Council early – leaving plenty of time before the listings deadline!

Step 1

To hold an event on Plymouth City Council land, send an Expression of Interest (EOI) to Jodie Bishop, Public Art Officer at

Your expression of interest should include the following information:

  • Your name and contact details
  • A brief description of the event/activity you are planning
  • The dates and times
  • Your preferred site

Step 2

Once availability has been checked you will be directed to the relevant booking forms for your site. To confirm your booking you will be required to submit the following

  • Proof of public liability insurance

AiR, a-n & Axis provide artist insurance policies as part of their membership schemes. You will need to provide the certificate page that has your name on it.

  • Risk Assessment & Method Statement (RAMS)

You'll need to write a short description of exactly what you are going to do, how you will set it up and take it down, and who is involved, which is known as a Method Statement. You also need to consider how to make your project safe for you, the audience and the environment around you, by identifying the risks and planning to mitigate them, which is called a Risk Assessment. View our full guide to both these processes here.

  • A route map for moving or touring projects

If you are considering crossing roads then please allow more time for your application as it may also need to be approved by the Highways Department.

Plymouth City Council have agreed to waive the standard hire fee for many city centre locations for Weekender events.

Make sure you leave plenty of time for Plymouth City Council to come back to you with any queries. Once your project is approved, you will be issued with a letter of support which you should upload when you submit your Weekender listing.

Only projects which have been granted permission will be included in Weekender listings.